Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Farmhouse

This is the house my maternal grandparents built, sometime around the 1930-1940 era. One of the novelties for me as a kid was hauling water from the spring--indoor plumbing was a luxury item the grandparents couldn’t afford. A late-night walk to the outhouse, about 30-40 yards away, was a major adventure. Bonus points for no electricity to the outhouse, so hope that you remembered to grab a flashlight before heading out.

To my knowledge no one has set foot in the house for years. My mom was one of five siblings--currently the property is maintained by the two surviving brothers. But everyone is getting on in years now; not sure how much longer the land will stay in the hands of the family.

I've been traveling to Gettysburg frequently this past year, helping my parents transition from their house to a retirement community. Occurred to me this most recent trip that I'd better make a priority of visiting the farm, which is just down the hill from my folks' place, so I have some sort of photographic record to pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment